God of War
Sony opened up its 2016 E3 with a new game in the God of War franchise.

I must admit I am not a fan of God of War games. I don't like the button bashing, combo meter filling combat. However the story of this actually looked intriguing and like others in the series, visually impressive too. It almost had me wanting the game but can't help feel it will have the game-play I didn't like from other GoW titles - its unlikely to change and annoy its fans...
A Pessimist is just an Optimist with experience!

[Image: 1026704.png]
The gameplay is apparently nothing like the other games. Combat is slower paced and on the shoulder buttons - think Dark Souls.

I love the older games, liking the look of this one as well; no harm, no foul.
(07-03-2016, 07:00 PM)Slam Shot Sam Wrote: The gameplay is apparently nothing like the other games. Combat is slower paced and on the shoulder buttons - think Dark Souls.

I love the older games, liking the look of this one as well; no harm, no foul.

Don't like the Souls games either or Bloodbourne for that matter. Don't like DMC or Dantes Inferno either so I don't think this will be of any interest to me. If the game played out a lot like the video throughout, heavy on story and none of that combo raising, button bashing combat, I could cope with Witcher style combat though, then I doubt I will bother. I don't know how the fans would react if it's changed to much...

I admittedly haven't played 3, but combat in The Witcher 2 was crap. Very glad they aren't taking that route.
Witcher 2 combat wasn't 'crap' in my opinion. It wasn't the best ever either but it was ok considering the game was focussed more on Story - the Witcher 3's was much better though but still wasn't the main focus of the game. Games like Dark Souls, GoW etc are more focussed on combat as a priority - in some cases almost exclusively - but games like the Witcher 3 (the Witcher I was referring to in this case), the combat is a by-product of the era, an inevitable occurrence. The Witcher 3's combat is good, especially if you are going after a specific target. Preparing the right bombs, using the right oils etc. Even standard combat can be good and satisfying too. Its a bit like the Souls/bloodbourne but a bit more forgiving and balanced too with more to your arsenal to help.

Maybe 3 is a big improvement, but from my experience with 2, I find it to be the total opposite of Souls combat. Souls combat, to me, is weighty, tight, considered and satisfying. Witcher combat, to me, is loose, weightless and unsatisfying - pretty much akin to flailing a swimming noodle about.
Reviews are out and there are plenty of perfect scores in the mix. I was already excited to get my hands on GoW next week, now especially so!
(04-12-2018, 08:48 AM)Slam Shot Sam Wrote: Reviews are out and there are plenty of perfect scores in the mix. I was already excited to get my hands on GoW next week, now especially so!

We upgraded our Day One Xbox and another OG Xbox to two One Xs a few months ago.  Thought we'd stand pat.  Having read reviews, however, and having played GoW3 on the PS3 I have officially found a game that makes me want to purchase a PS4.  Will likely get a Pro and we'll probably wait until the holidays to get it (have plenty of games still to play in my backlog so no rush), but this certainly looks like a 'must play' for me.
I'll let you know how it is, supr squirrel - it's currently making its way to me in the post!
I’m loving the characters and story, which are pretty much perfectly written and performed. Same goes for the cleverly designed environments, which are relatively open and loop back on themselves to reveal new routes as you gain new abilities. Everything is absolutely gorgeous as well, at least on a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV, being another PlayStation exclusive that visually surpasses anything I’ve yet played on Xbox One X.

Now the combat isn’t bad, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I don’t prefer it to the old style so far. I imagine it’ll grow on me as I accrue the absolute glut of gear and upgrades - about five hours in I barely seem to have scratched the surface - but currently it feels a touch limiting and samey. Part of that is due to the fact enemies are complete damage sponges, at least on the hard (but not the hardest) difficulty setting I opted for. Utilising Atreaus adds a nice tactical wrinkle, while meaning there’s a lot to juggle and you will die if you fumble when multiple enemies join the fray and fights become frantic (again, at least on hard).